11.14.2010

Make it Count

    Hello again! Today I want to talk about making the food we eat count. First I should say that I have the privilege of a very generous one half hour lunch break at work... : )  So a LOT of times I'm eating in transit. Probably a pretty common scenario. And ok, yes, sometimes I just go to the drive-thru, fine, but we'll talk about healthy options for that on another post. Usually though, I run home and throw something together in five minutes. However it's pretty tough to put together a meal in that amount of time that's nutritional AND filling without sacrificing a ton of calories. But you gotta do what you can, and there are some things you can do! One great tip? Shaved almonds!


Almonds I swear are like taking a vitamin that also has protein. They're already packed with all kinds of minerals, antioxidants, low in saturated fat, but have the good type of mono- and polyunsaturated fats your body craves to fill you up. They also have a surprising amount of calcium which is important to us women and lactose-intolerants. But the reason I like the shaved ones is because I sprinkle them on everything... my absolute favorite is on peanut butter and jam/fruit spread/honey sandwiches! It gives it such a different flavor and the crunch to me is the best part. It instantly takes the sandwich from a mediocre time-filler until the next meal to something that gives your body enough fuel and nutrients to help stave off hunger pangs that can cause over-eating come dinner. The protein and good fats break down real slow and allow for a steady flow of energy. So put them on your shopping list! The bag above is 10 oz for approx. $4, and has lasted me about a month so far. They come in flavored varieties, but I just get the plain because everything else has so much salt.  They're delicious  in cereal, on toast, salads, soups, with pretty much whatever you eat, and just by themselves!

If we can pack little bits of nutrition like almonds into our quick meals the impact will spread throughout the day and make a real difference in the way our body fuels itself:) Enjoy! More later...
~Sar



No comments:

Post a Comment